Simplefill helps people with chronic conditions such as migraines pay for the costly medications they need to manage their symptoms. Learn more about migraine medication assistance, and enroll with Simplefill today.
What is a Migraine?
Migraines (commonly referred to as migraine headaches) most often are a severe headache, usually affecting one side of the head, that usually comes with nausea and light and sound sensitivity. However, there are wide differences in how people experience migraines. Some people experience an “aura” in the form of visual disturbances preceding or during a migraine episode. Others feel facial tingling or numbness on one side.
Untreated migraine attacks can continue for a few hours or even last for days. This can make it impossible to maintain one’s daily routine. More than 157 million workdays are lost in the United States each year due to migraines!
Fortunately, some drug therapies can help prevent migraines and others that reduce the pain of migraine attacks.
How Do Different Types of Migraine Medications Work?
The types of medications that can be effective in preventing migraines include:
- Beta-blockers such as Inderal that lower blood pressure
- Calcium channel blockers such as Verelan also lower blood pressure
- Anti-seizure drugs such as Valproate and Topamax
- Botox injections administered roughly every three months
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) monoclonal antibodies such as Aimovig and Emgality, which are injected monthly
Medications prescribed to relieve the pain of migraine attacks include:
- Triptans such as Imitrex, which block pain signals in the brain
- Dihydroergotamines such as Migranal, which are prescribed for people whose migraine attacks typically last for 24 hours or more
- Ditans such as Reyvow, which act on serotonin, the brain chemical that causes narrowing of the blood vessels in the brain
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists. This is a new class of drugs such as Ubrelvy that target CGRP, a substance found in many migraine sufferers
- Opioid medications, which are prescribed only for people who get no relief from any other migraine medication
While these medications can be effective in preventing or halting migraine attacks, many of them can also be quite expensive. Although migraine medication assistance is available for those who are having trouble paying for their prescriptions, many are unaware of that aid. Simplefill works to raise awareness of migraine medication assistance and to help migraine sufferers connect with the programs and organizations that offer such financial help.
Get Started Today
To qualify for our help, you’ll need to become a Simplefill member by applying online or calling us at 1(877)386-0206. Within 24 hours, a patient advocate will call you to ask you some questions about your medical and financial needs. Your answers will enable us to build your member profile and identify the migraine medication assistance programs best suited for you.
Forget about having to cope with the burden of paperwork, because we take care of that for all of our members. We’ll submit applications on your behalf to the migraine medication assistance programs we’ve identified for you, and upon approval, we’ll take care of getting you enrolled as well.
For as long as you remain a Simplefill member, you’ll never need to worry about your prescription refills. We’ll also update your member profile to reflect any future changes to your treatment plan and get you some help paying for any new medications prescribed for you.
When you see how much less you end up paying for your prescriptions, you’ll wonder why you didn’t seek migraine medication assistance sooner!